Grilled Parmesan Sweet Potatoes is a surprisingly huge hit in our family, but I wish it looked as good as it tasted. This is one of those recipes that is “to die for delicious” but just isn’t as pretty as it should be. But don’t let that stop you from making it.
Let’s get started on this super quick and rewarding recipe!
How to Prepare the Parmesan Mix
For the parmesan mixture, add the butter, parmesan, garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Give it a quick stir.
Tip: I sprayed the cast iron skillet with vegetable oil spray, but later realized that the melted butter in the parmesan mix would have been sufficient by itself.
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes
Fire up the grill to a direct heat at 350 degrees. While that is heating up, slice two large sweet potatoes in 3/16 inch slices.
I used our food slicer to cut the potatoes in a uniform thickness. That makes the grilling time more consistent.
Layer the sweet potato slices in a cast iron skillet. I added three to four layers thick.
Pour the parmesan mix over the sweet potatoes in the cast iron skillet.
How Long does it take to Grill Sliced Sweet Potatoes?
It only took 20 minutes for the sweet potatoes to be fully cooked. A nice caramelized crust formed where the potatoes and the cast iron touched – Oh my! Was that just the best part of the dish!
The time varies depending on how thick the slices of sweet potato were cut. The thinner the slice, the quicker it will cook.
Be careful removing the cast iron skillet from the grill. It is extremely hot!
Easy! Quick! Delicious! My perfect grilled sweet potato recipe!
Grilled Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes sliced I used my meat slicer to make the job VERY easy!
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
Mix the ingredients
- Add all ingredients except the sweet potatoes to a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Set aside.
Slice the sweet potatoes
- To get evenly sliced potatoes, use a food slicer. I set mine to 3/16" and had very consistent and thin slices of sweet potatoes.
Prepare the Cast Iron Skillet
- Layer the sweet potatoes in a cast iron skillet. Only 2-3 potatoes slices deep.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes.
- This will be fairly "clumpy" so you will work it around with a small spatula to coat the top of the potatoes.
- Set the grill for 350 degrees on direct heat and grill for approximately 20 minutes or until the potatoes on top are softened.