Foil Wrapped Grilled Baked Sweet Potatoes make the perfect healthy side dish for your BBQ.
This is a super simple side dish we are all craving to make. You know the one that everyone loves and wants to eat. Sweet potatoes are tender and sweet and fortunately, don’t need a lot of extras to make them taste out of this world.
🔥 Grilling Instructions
Step One: Take a piece of foil and lay it out on the counter. Poke a few holes into a clean sweet potato with a fork. The holes will help the steam escape easily.
Step Two: Use a little bit of olive oil spray to provide a very light coat on the sweet potato. Sprinkle with sea salt or kosher salt. I find the combination of the coarse salt and the oil help the skin get a little crispy when it is done grilling. Wrap the sweet potato up and seal the aluminum foil tight.
Step Three: Place the wrapped sweet potato on a heated grill set to 350 degrees. I used indirect heat by adding the plate setter to the grill. For gas grills, turn off the burners immediately under the potato. Grill for about 40 minutes, turning half way for a medium sized potato. My sweet potatoes were quite large, and I needed another 20 minutes until they were fork tender.
💡 Recipe Tips
When I want an even crispier skin, I cook the sweet potato without the foil. Place it straight on the grating. The skin will become very crispy but the inside will still be soft and fluffy.
⏲️ Grilling Time
A medium sized sweet potato will take about 40 minutes to grill. Turn it over half way through to make sure it is cooking evenly.
Note: Fluctuations in grill temperature will impact cooking time. Larger sweet potatoes will take about 20+ minutes longer.
📌 Serving Options
There are so many ways to jazz up these potatoes. Be creative!
- Butter and brown sugar
- Butter and sour cream
- Make it taco stuffed by using black beans, corn, red onions and topping with sour cream or guacamole
- Make Cowboy Caviar and top the sweet potatoes with it
- Use these for breakfast meal prep and add scrambled eggs, bacon chunks and tomatoes
- Top with homemade salsa, green onions and a dollop of sour cream
- Load it with homemade chili, cheese and sour cream
- Alternatively, bake them on the grill and remove the insides and whip them into a mashed sweet potato – all done without ever having to use your oven.
Any way you choose to enjoy these delicious Sweet Potatoes, you are going to love them! Pair them with a dish indoors or your favorite pulled pork, grilled steak or grilled chicken recipe.
Related Sweet Potato Recipes
Honey Drizzled Sweet Potato Wedges – Add a little honey to your grilled sweet potatoes for a fantastic side dish. Cutting them into wedges definitely cuts down on the grilling time.
Grilled Parmesan Sweet Potatoes – This Cast Iron Skillet recipe is just as delicious as it is gorgeous. Layering sweet potato slices makes the grilling go very quick!
Baked Sweet Potatoes on the Grill
- 1 Sweet Potato medium
- 1/4 tsp Olive Oil sprayed
- Sea Salt pinch
Prepare the Grill
- Set the grill to 350 degrees and use indirect heat. For gas grills, turn off the burners immediately under the sweet potato.
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes for the Grill
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the sweet potato
- Spray with a little bit of olive oil to help the skin become crispy
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt
- Use a fork to poke a few holes through the skin. Wrap the sweet potato tightly with the foil.
Grill the Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Place the foil wrapped potato on the grill
- Grill on indirect heat for approximatley 40 minutes. The sweet potatoes should be fork-tender. Larger potatoes will need additional time.