Copper Grilling Mats are a game changer for a weekend griller. This little sheet works its magic by releasing the stickiest of foods without any effort at all.
If you have looked at a few recipes on here, you will notice our love of Copper Grilling Mats. With full disclosure, we didn’t discover these on our own. We have a friend that used them for baking and we bought some, used them and pushed them on everyone like we are drug addicts…well, almost. We seriously don’t know why these hidden gems are not everywhere in the grilling aisles. Plus, they make my weekend grilling rituals (you have them as well, right?) so much more fun.
But even with all of those reasons to love grilling, and after years of enjoying my favorite hobby, I still run into the same few problems every time:
- Food sticking to my grill.
- The clean up process.
- Flare ups.
Luckily these problems are pretty easy to fix by using a copper grill mat.
These are lightweight, copper-infused, non-stick mats that sit right on your grill grate. To use them, just fire up the grill as normal, lay it directly on the grill grate, and add your food. You can see how we did that on the Brown Sugar Salmon recipe. The mat allows the foods to grill like normal. I was even able to achieve the sought-after sear marks that made it extra delicious.
These things solve most of the problems that all grill enthusiasts regularly encounter.
- Since these mats minimize juice dripping, it means less flare ups immediately under your food.
- It simplifies the clean up process since no food touches the grill grates, meaning there is no need to scrub down your grill grates after each session.
- The mats offer an ultra reliable non-stick surface to grill on, any food remnants or sticky bits can be effortlessly wiped off at the end. You can check out our Brown Sugar Salmon photos to see how the salmon is being pulled away from the mat with no sticking at all. If that isn’t enough, look at the Honey Basted Smoked Salmon and see there is zero sticking going on at all. And clean up for those were a breeze – no soaking or scrubbing. Simple wipe it off and air dry.
- Can be custom designed to fit your grill.
- The lightweight mats are ultra heavy-duty and durable, but the material is thin enough to cut it with scissors to be custom shaped to fit your grill.
- Inexpensive and reusable.
- These mats are typically sold for around $5 each, can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, and can be used again and again!
- Easy to clean.
- Simply wipe the mats down with soap and water. There is no need to soak or scrub!
- I can’t get ANYTHING to stick to them.
- The “non-stick” feature of these things is no joke. You can even grill a slice of cheese on these and it will lift right up. Nothing sticks to these mats, making them super versatile and easy to clean and reuse.
- Requires minimal storage space.
- The mats are super lightweight and can roll up easily for storage.
- Allows those beautiful grill marks to come through on the foods.
- This might be one of my favorite things about these mats: even though the food isn’t directly on the grill grates, the grill marks still come through!
- Adds versatility to your grilling menu.
- These copper mats allow you to cook a wide variety of foods. Any foods you would normally barbecue, you can cook on these mats instead: meats, fish, chicken, vegetables. Plus the mats prevent food from falling through the grates, meaning you can grill foods you wouldn’t normally be able to, like smaller foods like cherry tomatoes.
- Durable and long lasting.
- I’m telling you, these things are made to last. They can withstand high temps and be reused over and over.
- Safer because you never have to scrub your grill with a wire bristle brush.
- I always advise other grillers to NEVER scrub their grill grates with wire brushes. Using these brushes is super unsafe because tiny pieces of metal could flake off and stick. This runs the risk of tiny pieces of metal latching onto food the next time you’re grilling. Ingesting these tiny metal pieces can pose serious health risks. The copper mats eliminate this risk because no food makes contact with the grill grates, meaning they don’t need to be scrubbed and cleaned.
- Help increase the lifespan of your grill and grill grates.
- Since you won’t be scrubbing your grates and since no foods will be directly touching it, your grill grates will stay nice and clean and new. This significantly increases the lifespan of your grill and grill grates over time.
- No more flare ups.
- The mat contains most of the juices, thus minimizing flare ups.
🍔 How to Use
If you’re already familiar with grilling, then incorporating a copper mat into your grilling routine will be a breeze.
The non-stick mats don’t need to be sprayed with cooking spray because they are made with built-in non-stick properties.
Simply lay the mat onto the grate, place the foods onto the mat, and grill as normally. It’s truly as simple as that!
You’ll be amazed at how beautifully the sear marks come through onto the food, it’s kind of like magic.
- Place copper mat onto the grill grate.
- Grill foods as you normally would.
- Afterwards, simply wipe down the mats with soap and water after they’ve cooled off. No need to scrub your grill grates down, they’ll be clean since the mats protect them from food.
🧽 How to Clean
This is so easy! Warm soapy water with a sponge is all you need here. Everything, including sticky burned-on brown sugar, will come right off with no issues. It is like magic!
There you have it! This is one of my top five grilling accessories that I rave about. We use it in the house and out on the grill interchangeably with no problem. I can’t wait for you to try them so drop me a line and let me know if you have used them before or if you tried them.