These Grilled Bison Steaks with Herbed Butter will melt in your mouth! They are so tender and packed full of flavor. Whether you’ve been eating this healthy meat for years or if this is your first time, this recipe will quickly become a favorite, especially since they are done in 25 minutes.
Flavorful and easy to make, these bison steaks are sure to be your new favorite! They are great for entertaining guests too.
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
- These steaks only take 25 minutes to prep and cook.
- The flavor is mind-blowing!
- Homemade herbed butter takes it to the next level.
- Leaner and healthier than beef.
Bison Steak – Bison is a tasty and healthy alternative to beef. It is lower in cholesterol and has a higher protein content. You’ll find the cuts of meat similar to beef, so you’ll see them as a Ribeye, Filet and even Ground. It tends to be lean, so you’ll want to be careful not to overcook them.
The cut I chose today is a Sirloin which can lend itself to being less tender due to the lack of marbling. It is best cooked at rare to medium temperatures or it will become too tough.
Learning to make a simple herb butter is a game changer when you are grilling. This can take a bland piece of meat (which bison is not!) and make it something special and the varieties are endless.
Step One: Combine one stick of butter with a tablespoon of fresh herbs in a small Cuisinart Food Processor. Add two cloves of garlic and pulse a few times until it is fully combined. Don’t over-mix it as it is easy to heat up the butter too much, and it will melt.
Step Two: Remove the mix and place it on a small piece of Press N Seal. Roll it into a log shape, fold the wrap over and place it in the fridge to harden.
When you are ready to serve, you can simply slice off a tablespoon over a hot steak like this bison and allow it to cascade off the sides for an incredible main dish.
As with most of our recipes, take the meat out of the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes prior to grilling to bring it closer to room temperature. This will help it brown better and also cook more evenly. Let the meat rest before attempting to grill for best results.
Step Three: Preheat the grill to 400 degrees using direct heat.
Step Four: Place the steaks in a Ziploc Bag and add a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Work it around to make sure the steak is thoroughly covered.
Step Five: Remove the steaks and place them on the grill. As these will cook quickly, and are easy to overcook, I used my wireless meat thermometer to monitor the temperature.
Step Six: Grill for five minutes on each side. Remove the steaks when the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees (for medium rare).
Step Seven: While the steaks are resting for five to ten minutes, slice off a piece of the herbed butter and place it on top. It will melt into the steak and create an amazing, subtle flavor! Just talking about it makes me hungry!
Slice thinly and serve!
⚠️ Expert Tips
Bison can be tricky if you aren’t careful. The meat is lean so make sure you are cooking this one just a few minutes each side. The best results are with a rare to medium internal temperature.
The other thing to watch out for is to make sure you are patient in waiting for the grill to heat up to a good 400 degrees. When you cook at 350, you are going to get more of a “baking” look and feel to the steak rather than those crisp grill marks you love. Enjoy the time and allow the grill to heat up so you are happy with the end result.
For best results, let the bison rest for 5-10 minutes. This will give you juicy steak, so don’t skip this step.
Place the steak on a microwave-safe dish and heat up for 30-second intervals. Be sure to cover the steak and check-in between each 30-second interval. Don’t overheat it or it can become tough.
You can save leftovers for up to four days if they are chilled in the fridge. Make sure they are stored in an airtight container.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Grilled Bison Steaks
- 2 Bison Steaks small
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Butter room temperature
- 1 tbsp Fresh Herbs
- 2 cloves Garlic
Prepare the Herb Butter
- Soften the butter to room temperature and add it to a small food processor
- Wash and chop one tablespoon of fresh herbs. Use what you have available from the garden. If you use dried herbs, start with one teaspoon.
- Add two cloves of garlic and pulse the food processor until the herbs and garlic are well mixed. Be careful not to over-mix as the butter will heat up and melt.
- Add the mixture to a piece of Press N Seal and roll it into a log shape. Refrigerate to harden.
Grill the Bison
- Add the two bison steaks to a Ziploc bag and add in the olive oil, salt and pepper. Work it with your hands to make sure the steaks are well-coated.
- Set your grill to 400 degrees and add the steaks. Since this is a lean cut of meat, use a temperature probe to make sure you do not over-cook it.
- Grill for five minutes and turn over.
- Grill for another five minutes or until the steaks are five degrees below your desired temperature. I removed mine at 135 degrees for a medium rare.
- While the steaks are resting, add the herb butter and brush it to cover.
- Slice thinly and serve!