This Sausage and Peppers on the Big Green Egg recipe is a very easy and satisfying dish. Those two elements make this a great meal to make for a busy family who wants to have a fun and tasty dinner at home instead of spending money on eating out.
I am under the mindset right now that everything tastes better in a cast iron skillet.
Have you ever made a side by side comparison of a recipe? One using cast iron and one using stainless steel skillet just to see how the food reacts and tastes different. It is a huge difference.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my All Clad pans. Love them! But right now, I’m in love with my couple of cast irons and every dish that comes out of them.
Back to the sausage and peppers. I don’t like it when we slip into a rut with cooking meals. Making the same meals each week can get boring, and makes it more tempting to go out to a restaurant and spend more money than we should. So, I’m experimenting with food outside of my normal food cycle.
That is where this sausage and peppers recipe came into the story.
Sausage and Peppers on the Big Green Egg
Sausage and peppers are traditionally served on a nice, soft italian bread. The bread soaks up the delicious juices and makes it a bit easier to pick up to eat.
That said, this tastes just as good without the bread, so more often than not, I skipped the bread, the calories and gluten that comes with it. My family doesn’t miss it at all.
There are so many different kinds of sausages available at the grocery store. We prefer the sweet italian sausage, but the great thing with this recipe is that you can easily substitute it for the sausage of your choice.
Have fun with this one though and try out different ones from your local grocery store and mix it up!
Three Options for Preparing the Sausage and Peppers
- Cook everything out on the BGE. Use a cast iron skillet to cook the sausages, saute the vegetables and mix in the sauce. It all can be done on the grill with that slight undertone of the grilled flavor. You can almost taste it now, right?
- Cook the sausages and the vegetables out on the grill but pull the recipe together in the house. This is my favorite way to prepare our meals ahead of time and make it easier to put together dinners later in the week. I asked Jason to grill the sausage and the veggies over the weekend. That way, I can prep the sauce on a busy night and finish putting the meal together on a busy weekday evening. Ta-da!! Homemade weeknight meal!
- You can cook it all 100% over the weekend on the grill and heat up on the busy weeknights for the homemade weeknight meal. They reheat beautifully and nobody’s the wiser! Seriously, these rival a restaurant’s “take out” like you can’t imagine! Kiddos love them and you will love how easy this makes your life!
The tomato paste tip of the day. I hate wasting food and there is rarely a recipe that calls for a whole can of tomato paste. The tubes of paste are awesome but so expensive and I have a travel budget I’d rather fund than tubed tomato paste.
Simply place leftover tomato paste in 1 tablespoon portions on a sheet of Press and Seal. Place a second piece of Press and Seal on top of it and press it down all the way around the tablespoon of tomato sauce. Cut them into little sealed off squares and pop them in the door of my freezer. They store wonderfully and keep for a few months. Try it!!
Until next time, enjoy!!!
Sausage and Peppers on the Big Green Egg
- 1 1/2 lbs of sweet Italian sausage
- 3 medium peppers mixed of red, yellow and green, sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tbs of Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- Bread of choice
- In a cast iron skillet, heat up the cast iron on the grill so it starts to sizzle. Pour in oil and start to cook sausages for 5-7 minutes each side. Taking caution to not overcook them.
- Add peppers and onions to the sausages along with a 1/4 c water. This allows the peppers and the onions to start to soften and cook while the sausages finish up to a temperature of 160.
- Take sausages out and finish sauteeing the peppers and onions for about 5-7 minutes or until brown. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir to heat. Add the sausages back in to fully heat.
- Serve on buns of choice.