This Sausage and Peppers on the Big Green Egg recipe is a very easy and satisfying dish. Those two elements make this a great meal to make for a busy family who wants to have a fun and tasty dinner at home instead of spending money on eating out.
Back to the sausage and peppers. I don’t like it when we slip into a rut with cooking meals. Making the same meals each week can get boring, and makes it more tempting to go out to a restaurant and spend more money than we should. So, I’m experimenting with food outside of my normal food cycle.
That is where this sausage and peppers recipe came into the story.
Sausage and peppers are traditionally served on a nice, soft italian bread. The bread soaks up the delicious juices and makes it a bit easier to pick up to eat.
That said, this tastes just as good without the bread, so more often than not, I skipped the bread, the calories and gluten that comes with it. My family doesn’t miss it at all.
There are so many different kinds of sausages available at the grocery store. We prefer the sweet italian sausage, but the great thing with this recipe is that you can easily substitute it for the sausage of your choice.
Have fun with this one though and try out different ones from your local grocery store and mix it up!
🔥 Grilling Instructions
Step One: Heat the grill to 350 degrees. Add the empty cast iron skillet to heat it up.
Step Two: Ad a little bit of olive oil and add the sausages to cook. It should take 5-7 minutes per side. Optional, if you want a direct sear flavor, add the sausages directly to the grill grate for a minute or two.
Step Three: Remove the sausages and in the same pan, add water, peppers and onion. Let them sauté for 5-7 minutes or until they are almost soft.
Step Four: Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and the other seasonings. Stir to fully cover the peppers and onions.
Step Five: Add sausages back, stir and serve on a slice of bread.
💡 Recipe Tips
- Option One: Cook everything out on the grill. Use a cast iron skillet to cook the sausages, sauté the vegetables and mix in the sauce. It all can be done on the grill with that slight undertone of the grilled flavor. You can almost taste it now, right?
- Option Two: Cook the sausages and the vegetables out on the grill but pull the recipe together in the house. This is my favorite way to prepare our meals ahead of time and make it easier to put together dinners later in the week. I asked Jason to grill the sausage and the veggies over the weekend. That way, I can prep the sauce on a busy night and finish putting the meal together on a busy weekday evening. Ta-da!! Homemade weeknight meal!
- Option Three: You can cook it all 100% over the weekend on the grill and heat up on the busy weeknights for the homemade weeknight meal. They reheat beautifully and nobody’s the wiser! Seriously, these rival a restaurant’s “take out” like you can’t imagine! Kiddos love them and you will love how easy this makes your life!
Grilled Beer Brats – This is another direct heat grilled recipe that uses your favorite beer to add a fun, complex flavor to the brats. Add in a bit of sear and this becomes out-of-this-world!
Grilled Meatballs – This is another fun classic recipe that does so good on the grill. I doubt I will go back to cooking them indoors.
Until next time, enjoy!!!
Grilled Sausage and Peppers
- 1 1/2 lbs Sweet Italian sausage
- 3 Peppers mixed of red, yellow and green, sliced
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1 slice Bread (optional)
- Heat the grill to 350 degrees and add the empty cast iron skillet to preheat it
- Add in oil and cook sausages for 5-7 minutes each side. Taking caution to not overcook them. If you want a bit more sear, place them directly on the grate for a minute or two.
- Remove the sausages and set aside.
- Add water, peppers and onions to the skillet for 5-7 minutes. This allows the peppers and the onions to start to soften and cook.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir to heat. Add the sausages back in to fully heat.
- Serve on buns of choice.