We just returned from an overseas vacation in Thailand and really enjoyed the abundance of fresh fruits offered everywhere. We were in love with them all! Delicious and so sweet! That got us thinking we need to grill more fruit for the blog. So, first up is making Grilled Bananas that ended up knocking our socks off – I’m serious here! It was so sweet and yummy, with or without the ice cream.
In a bowl, combine the honey, cinnamon and melted butter and mix. That’s it. Nothing else to do here!
🔥 Grilling Instructions
Step One: Take a fresh banana and slice it in half lengthwise. Cut right through the skin and all. I suggest that you use very fresh bananas, though, as the ones that are starting to get even a little brown will just be too mushy to cut.
Step Two: Next, brush a little bit of olive oil on the cut side to minimize the chance of sticking.
Step Three: Set the cut side down on a grill preheated to 350 degrees and let it cook for about three minutes. It doesn’t take long.
Step Four: Flip the bananas over so the peel side is down and brush with the Honey Cinnamon mixture. Let it grill for another three minutes.
💡 Recipe Tips
- The bananas may be difficult to flip over using tongs. I used a large metal spatula to keep everything together.
- I love my GrillGrate. This tool sits right on top of your metal grate and leaves very crisp, sear marks on your food. I find that foods tend to stick to it unless I coat the food and the GrillGrate with a liberal coating of olive oil.
🍽️ Serving Ideas
Now for my favorite part of this recipe. I have a sweet tooth and love all sorts of desserts, and this is no exception.
Add the bananas to a bowl, scoop in vanilla ice cream and sprinkle with fresh blueberries. This makes a terrifically delicious sweet dessert that we’ll be adding to our repertoire. Think of adding raspberries or even little bit of crushed roasted pecans. We will be showing you how to do those on the grill next week and you will LOVE them!!! I made extras and Jason already ate them.
This is a fun option for hosting a picnic or even just cooking after dinner for your family.
Other Grilled Fruit Recipes
Grilled Pineapple Slices – Nothing beats the sweetness of pineapple and the charred grill flavors. Add these delicious slices of goodness to a big bowl of ice cream, or even just a finger food!
Grilled Peaches with Goat Cheese – Crumble some pecans and the slight tanginess of the goat cheese and you have a refined dessert that really complements the palate. Frankly, I could eat the grilled peaches just plain!
Grilled Honey Cinnamon Bananas
- 2 Bananas
- 1 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Heat the grill 350 degrees
- Mix butter, cinnamon and honey together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the bananas length wise but do not remove the peel. Brush on a little bit of butter or oil so they don't stick to the grill.
- Place bananas cut-side down and grill for three minutes.
- Turn over and brush the cut-side with the butter/cinnamon mixture.
- Grill 2-3 more minutes.
- Top with ice cream and fruit such as blueberries or red raspberries.