Welcome to your new go-to grilled veggie on a stick: Grilled Bacon Brussel Sprouts Kebabs made in just 20 Minutes! There are no boring side dishes when you grill this!
Brussel sprouts reminded me of little cabbages and when I was growing up. I loved them. I didn’t think about the fact that they were good for you, or were low in calories and high in fiber. I just knew they were so cute and I wanted them on my plate. As I aged, I am always on the look out for foods that give a lower calorie but high flavor and this veggie wins every time! You don’t have to do much to cook them and they are oh-so delicious!
🥄 Why This Recipe Works
Super Fast: This is a quick and easy recipe for a striking side dish. Perfect for Saturday night bbq or when you are entertaining guests for the block party. Just 20 minutes to get this one done is perfect for whatever occasion you have coming up.
Meal Prep Friendly: Prep this one the day before or the morning of your cookout to make this one effortless. Your biggest time suck is waiting for the grill to heat up.
Bacon is a delicious flavoring that a lot of people forget to use. It is simply salt cured pork. If you haven’t cured your own bacon, you should!
Bacon’s salt and fat complement the brussel sprouts but don’t overtake it.
Select a flavor of bacon like hardwood smoked, apple smoked, maple infused…You get the idea. Use a bacon that your family likes and it’s sure to be a hit!
Brussel sprouts are not the boring old veggie that you know is packed with fiber and potassium. Once you weave it with bacon and grill it up, you have yourself a delicious side dish that you will WANT TO EAT instead of SHOULD EAT.
Step One: Cut the brussel sprouts in half prior to loading on the skewer. That thickness worked out well with the thinly sliced bacon. Both the veggie and the bacon were done at the same time.
Step Two: Spray the metal skewers with an oil spray to minimize sticking and alternate the brussel sprouts and weaving the bacon. Try to think of that ribbon candy we would eat at holiday time. The bacon is the ribbon and the brussel sprouts go in the open space.
Step Three: Set up the grill to 350 degrees. Place the skewers on the grill and close the lid. Flip over after about 3-5 minutes on each side. Check to make sure the bacon is fully cooked and serve immediately.
- In between the brussel sprouts and bacon, add red peppers!
- Mushrooms and brussel sprouts together are a natural combination. Throw some on the skewer.
- Try alternating cauliflower and brussel sprouts while still weaving the bacon through.
- Stay away from mixing quick cooking vegetables like zucchini or yellow squash with these. They will cook too fast and fall apart on the grill.
❗ Expert Tips
Make sure to wash the brussel sprouts off and cut off the little tip of the bottom. Remove the old/dead-looking leaves.
Use a thinner cut of bacon here. Thick bacon will take a long time to grill and it stands a chance of not getting fully cooked.
Don’t overheat the grill. This is the time to use 350 degrees and watch for flare ups as they will burn if you’re not careful.
Rotate the skewers around as there are natural hot spots on the grill. Rotate these to mitigate the effects of natural hot and cold spots.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Grilled Bacon Brussel Sprouts Kebabs
- ½ lb Bacon thinly sliced
- 2 lb Brussel Sprouts fresh
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Prepare the Skewer
- Slice the brussel sprouts in half lengthwise
- Stick the end of the bacon through the skewer
- Add a brussel sprout
- Fold the bacon over the brussel sprout and onto the skewer
- Add the next brussel sprout, and fold the bacon over again
- Rinse and repeat until the skewer is full or the bacon is fully used
Grill the kebab
- Set your grill to medium direct heat. I used the Big Green Egg set to 350 degrees
- Before placing the kebab on the grill, lightly coat the brussel sprouts and bacon with olive oil
- Grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side
- Be careful in adding the brussel sprout the skewer. It is a relatively hard vegetable and you should take care.