Grilled Bacon Wrapped Chicken Livers in a Cast Iron Skillet is a fantastic treat that will melt in your mouth.
Wait!!! Don’t leave! Not yet!!! This will be the recipe that will shock you with its deliciousness! It will leave you questioning what is actually inside the bacon! I promise you, it doesn’t even taste like your Grandma’s fried livers.
Two big things to note on this recipe:
One is that if you wrap bacon on just about anything and grill it, the taste is out of this world. That is just about what happened here. The bacon already has a hint of smoky flavor along with the oils that make everything you wrap it in extra juicy.
Second, I had to find a creative way to use up tons of chicken livers that Jason bought and froze when I was out of town. Yes, that is a recurring theme in our house. When Jason is left unsupervised, he goes a wee bit crazy at the store with grandiose ideas of everything he needs to put on the grill. Hence, the 2 extra pounds of chicken liver I discovered in my freezer! 😀
The end result was mouthwatering, though. I devoured them and basically pushed Jason aside for these wrapped livers. I love most of what he grills – but this recipe was so juicy and flavorful!
How to Prepare Grilled Chicken Livers Wrapped in Bacon Appetizers
Heat the grill to 450 degrees on direct heat. Give yourself time as this may take 30-45 minutes on a Big Green Egg. If you are grilling on a gas grill, you will be ready in just a few minutes.
Cut slices of bacon in half and wrap it around a chicken liver and place it in a small cast iron skillet. Don’t worry about adding any oils, as the bacon fat will aid in the grilling.
Place the cast iron skillet on the grill and cook for 25 minutes. The dish will be bubbling with the fat from the bacon and it may be hard to tell when the liver is fully cooked. Cut one open to double check.
For the last 2-3 minutes, sprinkle two tablespoons of brown sugar on top of the chicken livers and continue to grill. This adds a surprising sweetness to the dish. Remove from grill and serve to your family and guests!
Note: you will want thinly sliced bacon for this recipe. We pulled out some of Jason’s smoked bacon from the freezer. He sliced it (Jason insert link to slicer on Amazon) on the thick side, and they just did not wrap around the livers well. We ended up just frying that bacon the next morning for breakfast. Use the thinnest bacon you can find. I used hardwood smoked bacon, but maple bacon would complement the brown sugar too!
Other Delicious Recipes
If you like this recipe, you should check out
- Asian Green Bean Bundles -these green bean bundles are a perfect little addition to a grilled steak or spatchcock chicken.
- Grilled Bacon and Brussel Sprout Kebabs -these are such a huge hit on game days! Everyone loves getting a little bit of veggies with their bacon.
- Honey Mustard Glazed Bacon Wrapped Chicken -hands down one of my favorite chicken recipes. I say that a lot but we truly love this one. The bacon drippings add awesome flavor to the chicken and then the honey mustard is brushed on towards the end so it won’t burn. So good!!!
Grilled Chicken Livers Wrapped in Bacon
- 12 chicken livers
- 6 slices bacon cut in half
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the grill to 450 degrees on direct heat.
- Wrap a half piece of bacon around each piece of chicken liver and place in the small cast iron skillet. We used the 6 inch size.
- Place cast iron skill on grill that is preheated and cook for 25 minutes.
- The final 2-3 minutes, sprinkle the brown sugar on top of each liver that is wrapped in bacon. Allow to cook and the sugar to melt into the liver. Serve immediately.