This Blueberry Pomegranate BBQ Sauce works perfectly on grilled chicken and is easy to make! Whip it up a couple of days ahead of time and be ready for your next BBQ!
Spring is here and we are in full grilling mode! How about you? We spent a day cleaning out our Big Green Egg and replacing the seal on so we can grill up a storm this year!
Step One: Combine the jam, blueberries, brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar and fresh blueberries in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
Step Two: Boil for 3-5 minutes and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes.
Step Three: Allow the sauce to cool. Once cool, blend to the consistency that you like in a food processor or a blender.
Although this recipe used brown sugar, you will achieve great results by swapping out the brown sugar for honey. I love using honey in my BBQ sauces, but this time I reached for the brown sugar and it turned out great!
For a sweeter sauce, decrease the ketchup and add in molasses. Have you ever researched a lot of the old BBQ sauce recipes? So many of them used molasses in their recipes. If you haven’t tried it, this is a great one to give it a whirl. The blueberries added enough sweetness, so I didn’t think we needed molasses.
When we grill the wings, we like to do a good double/triple swipe with the sauce. Here is how that works:
- When the wings are just about done on the grill, brush on a little bit of sauce. The sauce will run and not stick right away.
- Allow the heat to melt the sugars in the sauce for about 30-60 seconds.
- Brush on again and this layer will start to stick. You will notice that it has a more “ooey-gooey” consistency to it.
- Flip the wings and repeat the process it.
- Don’t rush it and don’t just brush on just once and think you will achieve the layers of sauce that you want. The sauce melts too fast and can fall quickly into the grill. You want it to stick, so swipe on/brush it 2-3 more times and you won’t look back.
🔥 Grilling Instructions
Step One: Set up the grill for direct heat and bring the temperature to 350 degrees.
Step Two: Once the grill is up to temperature, add the chicken wings.
Step Three: Grill one side for around five minutes and turn them over to grill the other side for another five minutes.
Step Four: The wings should be almost done and then add the blueberry pomegranate BBQ sauce. It is so delish!
💡 Recipe Tips
The sauce will store well in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Use the sauce on pork or other cuts of chicken too. The sweet, fruity flavors are amazing!
Related Sweet BBQ Sauce Recipes
Pineapple Mango Chicken Wings – Have a taste of the tropics with this delicious sweet BBQ. It will knock your socks off!
Apricot BBQ Sauce – Another great and sweet BBQ Sauce that is easy to make and delicious to eat!
Blueberry Pomegranate BBQ Chicken Wings
- 12 each Chicken Wings
Blueberry Pomegranate BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 jar Blueberry Pomegranate Jam Stonewall Kitchen
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 pint Blueberries
Make the Blueberry Pomegranate Sauce
- Pour all ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Boil sauce for 3-5 minutes and turn down to a simmer for 30 minutes
- Allow sauce to cool and then use a food processor or blender to make smooth. The sauce will thicken once it cools.
Grill the Chicken Wings
- Set up your grill for direct heat at 350 degrees
- Add wings to the grill and cook for four to five minutes
- Turn over the wings and cook for another four to five minutes
- Apply a few layers of the BBQ sauce and grill for another minute to caramelize the sugars in the sauce.